Sunday, October 30, 2011

| | | Best Blogger Tips

When I was born and my mother had her first look at me, my head to be precise, she thought she had given birth to a bear cub ( Post-delivery delirium I suppose if there is something like that)!!  I had more hair than most babies do at the time of birth. My mother tells me now that people who came to visit us in the hospital back then always noticed my baby hair and complimented me for the same. I remember nothing for obvious reasons. Coming to think of it, that must have been my first ‘wow moment’ and all credits to my hair.



I have had absolutely no problems, during my growing up years, regarding my hair. I had smooth, silky, lustrous hair until I was 13 years old. My mother oiled and shampooed it regularly. School was nearby, hence exposure to pollution was minimal. So, till 13, all I received was compliments for my hair.

When it came to high school and college, I had to travel long distances. This is when my hair started to lose its shine and turned dry very quickly. All thanks to Bangalore’s ever-growing pollution and my stubbornness to not oil my hair regularly since I considered it old-fashioned for college-going girls to have oily and sticky looking hair!!

By the time I started to work, a year and half ago to be exact, my hair was in its worst condition ever- dry hair, split ends, hair fall, colour change from jet black to lighter tone of black and dandruff. The compliments dwindled. 



It was time to act and I turned to my crisis manager, my mother. She gave me some tips which I have personally tried and am going to share them with you here:

Oil your hair regularly: Apply oil onto your hair, massage gently and leave it for a minimum of 20 minutes before washing your hair.

Rub your scalp with lemon soaked in lukewarm oil: Cut lemon into thin slices, soak it in lukewarm oil, rub it on the scalp and leave it on for about 15 minutes before washing it off. It is known to reduce dandruff and increase the shine of your hair.

Apply a mask of hibiscus leaves: Grind fresh, green hibiscus leaves and apply the thick paste onto your hair and keep it on for atleast half an hour before washing it off. This works as conditioning for the hair.

Wash your hair atleast thrice a week using a mild shampoo and conditioner: I know washing hair daily is not feasible for working professionals like us. So thrice a week is fine to maintain them in good condition.

Comb regularly: Comb your hair regularly to keep it untangled. But, do not over-comb as it can stress the hair roots.

Use only lukewarm water for washing your hair: This I can vouch for. I am a Biochemist and I know that heat causes proteins to denature and constant hair-wash with hot water can do the same to your hair since hair is nothing but protein, keratin to be specific.

Lifestyle: Maintain a healthy lifestyle. Drink lots of water ( I need to work on this myself), eat less junk and sleep well.

All the above worked really well and my hair started to regain its lost texture. But, I found the first three tips very cumbersome  and they dirtied my bathroom floor and I hate cleaning oily and messy bathroom floors. Also, the overall process of retexturing took months together.

I wanted something more effective and less time consuming. And lo, when I was thinking of what next, I received the New Dove Nourishing Oil Care Range, a set of 4 awesome products – Dove Nourishing Oil Care Shampoo, Dove Nourishing Oil Care Daily Treatment Conditioner, Dove Nourishing Oil Care Vita Oil Serum and Dove Nourishing Oil Care Repair Mask. I have used these personally and by my hands on experience , err, hair-on-experience, I can tell you that my hair started to look more healthy, more smooth, more shiny and more black just after 2-3 washes. I will not go into the details of the products or the contents (Remember I am a Biochemist, so I tend to get carried away when talking about the ingredients. I will be a little thoughtful of my readers :)  For more info, you can login here).

The best part, I don’t have to worry about my hair looking oily and sticky because the products seem to absorb quickly into the hair leaving no traces of oil on surface. Also, no more dirty and oily bathroom floors. The end result is just smooth, silky and shiny hair and an add on bonus is that it doesn’t leave my hair smell of oil; instead, it leaves my hair smelling lovely. My only concern was the pricing but I think it is realistic in today’s market.



And yes, the compliments are back. Just the other day, my friend asked if I was in love since she felt I looked more happy and more confident. I said ‘yes’ and it is true- I currently am in love with the way my hair feels. It is time to let my hair down. Well…literally.


PS: This is my entry for  Dove and IndiBlogger present the “Love your Hair and it loves you back” contest . The opinions presented here are solely mine and are based on my personal use of the above mentioned tips and products.



59 comments:

  1. The 6 Year Old You Hair Rocks. :D ...


    As soon as I saw, It reminded me of this picture:
    http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/01/cat_lime_helmet.jpg

    P.S. Best of Luck for the Contest. :)

    Cheers,
    Shrijeet

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Shrijeet: Thanks Shrijeet :)Yeah 6yr old hair was the best. Kind of Rasna girl look:)

    You seem to be obsessed with cats :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now, this is one is Post in a million. Done full justice to hair. Pictorials too are superb.
    Remedies also are very genuine and well researched.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Pramodji: Thanks Pramodji :)You made my day:) Yes, all of them are personally tried and tested formulae. These are the actual happenings concerning my hair:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well Naa Naa.. I am a Dog Person..

    Its just that (Bragging) I have a Photographic Memory about errr.... Photographs... :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was a nice hair story! All the best for the contest :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @cybernag.in : Thanks a lot Zephyr :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. thx for sharing ur tips Pooja :) :)..i love the second pic..:) :)

    All the very best for the contest.. <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. even am also more consious about my hairs than my face,, nice write up..

    ReplyDelete
  10. a lot of thing can ruin the hair, pollution and stress be worst!
    nice post, good luck to you with the contest :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ Ruchi: Thanks Ruchi :) Yes am actually more concerned about my hair than my face :)
    @ Defiant Princess:Thanks a lot:) Yes I agree, stress does affect to a large extent.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Look at you...*touchwood*

    Your six year old and the latest one totally rock girl...i hope you win...good luck <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. @ Chintan: Thanks a lot:) He he..I am still the same as I was when I was six..just a few changes here and there ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have beautiful hair as you said...All the best for the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  15. @ Saru: Thanks a lot Saru :) I did have some years back but it did get damaged sometime back. Now, I think its regaining its old texture :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. The last pic, shine is back, reminded me' of shaayar Mansoor Ahmad Ji's lines,
    They do ample justice to it,
    "kaali kaali badali me' chaand ka bassera hai' , Yunn jullfein naa bakhero tumm".

    ReplyDelete
  17. @ Pramodji: That is such a sweet compliment. Thanks once again Pramodji :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. A very well penned guide for hair care!

    ReplyDelete
  19. lovely post and hair too! Good wishes from a fellow contestant!

    ReplyDelete
  20. @ Sunita: Thanks a lot:)Good wishes to you too :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well written. Good Luck.
    You may want to check mine :-)
    http://www.indiblogger.in/indipost.php?post=87139

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks a lot Bindu :) I checked yours and I must say it is a highly recommendable read :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Aah. You had such lovely hair.
    And you were so cute!! :D
    And, this is a very well written post! :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. @ Anuranjani: Thanks a lot, glad you liked it. Yeah I indeed was cute ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I felt like I was reading my story...
    I too had great hair...but now only one third of it are left...
    When I was a kid, those huge & fluffy rubber bands didn't fit into my hair...and now...it slips off my hair so easily when the pony tail becomes loose...I had waist long hair until I was 17...now its just shoulder length...my hairline is receding too...Nothing seems to be working out :(

    ReplyDelete
  26. You have great hair...good that its gaining its old strength and shine again... :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. @ Manju: Thanks for the compliments Manju :)

    Yeah even my hair was thick before but the volume did recede .
    You can use lemon with luke warm oil and hibiscus leaves paste mask. It gives the hair a good conditioning .

    ReplyDelete
  28. A well written post -enjoyed it immensely- keep up the good work going and good wishes

    i Guesss u would like this..if u like plz promote it..

    http://www.indiblogger.in/indipost.php?post=88938
    all d best

    ReplyDelete
  29. @ Madhaw: Thanks..
    @ Sampath: Thanks Sampath :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. this post is actually a good one..reached here via rahul's blog....
    good post..informative one

    ReplyDelete
  31. @ Nikhimenon : Thanks a lot. Glad you liked it:)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Very nice post :)
    I like it :)
    keep it up . .

    ReplyDelete
  33. @ Pratik : Thanks Pratik :) Feels good to know that you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Your 6 yr old picture is so cute :)
    Nice post :) It was a good read :)
    Good luck for the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  35. @ Philo: Thanks a lot:) Yeah I was kind of cute when I was 6, not anymore ;)

    ReplyDelete
  36. really ur hair were way too gud at 6! silky n shiny! n the last pic has also lovey hair!
    i have tried many things for dandruff natural to medicated shampoos also! but the problem still persists :(
    check out my post at QVENDO!! at http://www.indiblogger.in/indipost.php?post=88311

    ReplyDelete
  37. @ Megha: Thanks Megha :) You can try applying lemon soaked in lukeworm oil on the scalp for sometime before having a hair wash. Works wonders. Hope this helps :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Omg you look so cute :)
    Awesoome post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. @ Pooja: Yeah I was a cute child, not anymore :p
    Glad to know you liked the post:) Thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Amazing. All the best for the contest!

    Another tip: Use lime juice and honey with cotton all over your hair for half an hour before bathing. Trust me this is the best!


    http://www.meghasarin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  41. @ Megha : Thanks a lot :)

    I did read somewhere that honey acts as a good conditioner but never tested it personally since I thought it might have a negative effect since we use honey for waxing, so might make me lose my hair instead of making it better :p

    ReplyDelete
  42. at 6 yrs your hair is Wow and now also it is.. beautiful post.. All the best to you..

    Someone is Special

    ReplyDelete
  43. Great post..with great picture of your childhood . Hope you always shine!

    ReplyDelete
  44. @ Sarvana: Thanks a lot :) Yes, 6yr old hair was a celebrity on its own :p
    @ Bemoneyaware: Thanks a lot :)I hope I do :)

    ReplyDelete
  45. :-) Saravana :-) Will be happy to see your footprints in my post :-)

    Someone is Special

    ReplyDelete
  46. @ Sarvana: I did check your post..

    ReplyDelete
  47. Nothing is more stressing to a man than noticing increased amounts of hair on the sink or on his hair brush every morning. Losing hair ranks among the most dreaded things by men. The Reasons for hair loss are many and so are the causes.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Winter weather can be especially hard on your hair so you need to establish a good Hair Care routine. If you live in a climate that has a lot of cold weather, a lot of snow, or other winter conditions your hair can become damaged, dry and dull during the winter months. Using moisturizing shampoo and conditioner can help but moisturized products are no match for tight hats, cold breezes, snow and other wintry hazards. Best Flat Iron for Thick Hair

    ReplyDelete
  49. The first step when it comes to hair loss treatment is to identify the cause and the time when it started. You should also analyse whether any products that you applied in your hair could have resulted in hair loss. If this is the main cause, you should immediately stop using such products. It is also not advisable to change your shampoo or shower gel frequently. You should stick to a single product. Make sure to wash your hair regularly, since unclean hair contains lots of things that can result in damaging your hair. Frequent washing of the hair keeps it clean and healthy but make sure to use warm water, since very hot water also damages the hair. The following methods are effective in treating hair loss naturally. Hair vitalizers

    ReplyDelete
  50. Natural hair care products are those hair care products that are synthesized very minimally. These hair care products do not contain soaps, artificial softeners and perfumes. They normally contain some artificial additives, and because of this they remain in good condition. Hair Removal

    ReplyDelete
  51. One of the main complaints when it comes to men's hair care is thin hair due to hair loss. But there are plenty of natural ways for men to plump up thinning hair, without resorting to the style travesties of plugs or comb overs. Here are the top 10 tips for plumping up thinning hair naturally. hougang salon to go

    ReplyDelete
  52. Hair care is the cornerstone of our civilisation. Why? Read on to discover the five reasons your personal hair care routine will decide not only your own fate, but that of the whole of humanity. https://raybanaustralia.com/2021/02/03/whats-the-best-hair-salon-shampoo-model/

    ReplyDelete
  53. Hair is something you don't think twice about until it starts falling out. Sometimes, that is how it goes when it comes to hair. Sometimes you do not notice how much you truly love your hair until it is gone. Apply these tips to help you prevent hair loss. hairstyle

    ReplyDelete

Admiration or contempt, bring it on!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

    UBC Challenge - July 2013

    A to Z Challenge - April 2014

    NaPoWriMo - April 2014